AJAX is not a new programming language, but a new way to use existing standards.
AJAX is the art of exchanging data with a server, and update parts of a web page – without reloading the whole page.
- Conventional web application transmits information to and from the server using synchronous requests. This means you fill out a form, hit submit, and get directed to a new page with new information from the server.
- XML is commonly used as the format for receiving server data, although any format, including plain text, can be used.
- AJAX is a web browser technology independent of web server software.
- A user can continue to use the application while the client program requests information from the server in the background
- Intuitive and natural user interaction. No clicking required only Mouse movement is a sufficient event trigger.
- Data-driven as opposed to page-driven